Is your current health insurance plan not meeting your needs? Would you like to change your policy to something that better fits your current lifestyle or specific health concerns?
It is possible to do so under the Affordable Care Act. This law provides for several times when you can obtain new coverage to meet any and all federal requirements. However, this is often done during the Open Enrollment Period for the year.
Open enrollment is generally from November 1 through December 15.
Why Do You Need to Enroll Then?
If you are planning to invest in a new health insurance plan through the Affordable Care Act, you may do so, under law, during this specific timeframe. When you do, you will be able to obtain coverage that can begin as soon as January 1st of the following year.
During this time, agents can help you to find the type of insurance, the specific policy, and specific requirements that meet your needs.
This is usually the best time to change your policy, upgrade it, or otherwise modify or begin a plan. If you are canceling your policy, you can do that during this time (though you can do this throughout the year as well).
Can’t Wait That Long?
Open Enrollment is the time of the year when most people can enroll or change their plan. However, not everyone can or should wait until this time of the year to get coverage.
You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. These are instances in which you can enroll in a plan at any time of the year because it is necessary to do so. Life events that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period include:
- You lost your coverage obtained through your employer
- You are losing COBRA coverage
- You may no longer be eligible for Medicaid or CHIP coverage
- You may not be eligible any longer for Medicare
- You have a need for a policy because you are losing coverage you had through a privately purchased policy
- You got married or otherwise changed the size of your household
- Someone died on your plan
- You are moving to a new home or to another location
- You have a child
- You’ve just become a US citizen or US national
There are other reasons you may need to sign up for health insurance. Work with an Affordable Care Act agent to get the coverage you need.
We can guide you through the process of getting health insurance. Our website offers valuable resources on the type of plans we provide. If you have questions about changing insurance, call us today at (978) 222-3939.