One of the most difficult things about getting health insurance is that you simply have to be healthy to qualify for the least expensive types of coverage. The Affordable Care Act makes a big change in that way. For those who have pre-existing health conditions, it can be lifesaving. Pre-existing conditions are those health conditions you already have before obtaining the health insurance policy. They can be acute conditions or they can be chronic health conditions that you are living with.
There are several things you should know about the Affordable Care Act and securing health insurance if you have a pre-existing health condition.
- It is no longer possible for any insurance plan to reject you or even charge you more if you have any type of condition before your coverage started.
- Once you are enrolled in a health insurance policy, the insurer is not able to raise your rates based on your health – as an only factor. They cannot deny you coverage either.
- Health insurance plans cannot refuse to pay for the essential types of health benefits that you need because of your condition.
- In addition, this law also requires Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) to also provide the same levels of protection without any concern for the pre-existing conditions you may have. You cannot be refused coverage or charged more because of these conditions.
- Pregnancy is also covered in the plans you select from day one that you select it. The company cannot elect not to provide you with coverage or charge you more as a result of being pregnant.
What does this mean to you? The Affordable Care Act makes it possible for individuals to obtain the health insurance they need no matter if they are already sick, struggling with chronic disease or have the pre-cursors for developing health conditions at some point in the future. The key thing to remember here is that this type of coverage can still be affordable. Many people did not have health insurance because pre-existing conditions made it too costly for them to gain coverage. This is no longer the case for many people. Take a closer look at how the Affordable Care Act can help you in this way.
Still have questions? Call Simpson Financial Group at (877) 727-7780 for more information on Boston ACA health insurance.